Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Pre-Elizabethan Poetry
Dear members, we will discuss pre-Elizabethan poetry in this thread. We will talk about the poets who wrote early English poems - Gower, Langland, Chaucer and others. We will also come close to the early sonneteers in the form of Wyatt, Surrey and other ones who started the trend of Sonnet in England. Feel free to share your opinions, ideas and questions as well as answers in this thread. Let's explore the pre-Elizabethan English poetry of England. 
I don't think anyone more than Chaucer influenced the shape of the English language as well as English poetry. Chaucer can be said to be the only lonely figure who created a space for "English" and his masterpiece, undoubtedly, The Canterbury Tales, set the tone for satire, vivid poetry as well as realism. Who else other than Chaucer could be important from that period? I would love to have the views!
(08-31-2018, 01:57 AM)Gaurav_Singh Wrote: I don't think anyone more than Chaucer influenced the shape of the English language as well as English poetry. Chaucer can be said to be the only lonely figure who created a space for "English" and his masterpiece, undoubtedly, The Canterbury Tales, set the tone for satire, vivid poetry as well as realism. Who else other than Chaucer could be important from that period? I would love to have the views!

Yes, Gaurav, he is the first comer in the history of English literature who wrote in English. We will have to give him the credit for introducing many new generic approaches for the first time. in his masterpiece "the Canterbury Tales", characters are taken from the hierarchy of the society. he has portraited a true picture of the society of his age.
Though I partially agree to all the views expressed above, I will say that Chaucer did have a very great role to play in the terms of the development of English as a language and also establishing the early footprints of English poetry. However, we must also remember that the early school of thoughts propagating imaginary setting in the poetry and then using a complex pattern such as dream allegory was used by Langland. Another fine example is Gower as well if we keep the limitations to the 14th century. How about the poets who set the tone just before the Elizabethan period?
Yes, before Shakespeare, there were the poets who could be called, and rightly so, the precursors of the early romantic poetry in English. I remember a few sonneteers and then a few of the poets who write the long poems.