Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How do you prepare for NET English Literature examination?
Dear NET aspirants, welcome to the forum! Here, we will talk about the general strategies for preparing for the English Literature NET exam. Please share your opinions, strategies, ideas and also the books. You can also ask questions that you may have. Let's make this discussion forum a one-stop solution for all your NET related help. 
I would love to know from experts - how to approach this exam? I am also an aspirant of NET English literature exam. However, I am not yet convinced on how to approach it and I am taking my time. Do advise me on this.
yes, first and foremost step should be taken to keep in mind the time frame of English literature i.e. ages of English literature. keeping in mind the voluminous syllabus, pick the prominent authors and their works from these ages. And as we know the nature of questions is more factual than the abstract one, so reading should be done accordingly.
Reading certainly becomes important when we start preparing for the NET examination. However, what to read is a concern for most of the students. Can anyone suggest me what to read? Like who are the authors to be read from the 18th century? Who are the novelists who can be deemed most important from the Victorian period?
The 18th century can be bifurcated as Augustan age (1700-1750) and the Age of Johnson (1750-1790). the Augustan age is marked by the resemblance of Virgil and Horace's literature. The major writers include Addison, Steele, Swift and Alexander Pope. At the same time, Voltaire can be seen as the dominant literary figure in France. The age of Johnson is characterised by transitional phase. the period can hear tolls of the bell for upcoming Romanticism though the period is still largely Neoclassical. Principal writers include Dr Johnson, Boswell and Edward Gibbon who represent the Neoclassical tendencies, while writers like Robert Burns, Thomas Gray, Cowper and Crabbe show the moments of departure from neoclassical tendency. At the same time, the Colonial Period in America is prevalent, it includes colonial and revolutionary writers like Ben Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Paine and others.
Dear members, great to see you all engaging here in a very important discussion! NET examination is an important examination and our approach should be highly focused and our actions should be dedicated and precise as well. Mark the basic differences first:
  • This is not a subjective examination. 
  • Facts matter more than the abstract here. 
  • Your study must be broad but your focus must be precise. 
  • You can never be certain about the share of questions from particular periods in English literature. Be prepared for anything. 
  • Focus on Paper 1 as well. That can easily help in getting you to the shore now. 
  • As per the convention and trend, Victorian Novels, Austen, Elizabethan Drama, Addison & around, & Modern literature should be the bulk. You can focus on these aspects a little more. 
  • Before beginning your preparation, read at least one book on the history of English literature thoroughly. 
As far as the point raised about which novels to read and who are the authors to be studied more, we can never be certain. Still, there is always a way. For example, when I say Victorian Novel, there are not many ones other than Dickens, Charlotte Bronte, Thackeray and maybe Gaskell. You can focus on the major works by these novelists. If you move towards Victorian poetry, you should focus more on Browning and Tennyson. Other ones to be read, second priority, are Rossetti and Arnold. Rest others should be read just to remember their major works. Browning becomes important because the questions can also be asked about his themes and storyline highlighted in his poems.

If you want to read more:

Do engage and ask if you have questions. Also, write your suggestions. Let's make this board useful for all! Smile
(09-15-2018, 01:18 PM)Alok_Mishra Sir, how can we deal with paper 1? Wrote:
Dear members, great to see you all engaging here in a very important discussion! NET examination is an important examination and our approach should be highly focused and our actions should be dedicated and precise as well. Mark the basic differences first:
  • This is not a subjective examination. 
  • Facts matter more than the abstract here. 
  • Your study must be broad but your focus must be precise. 
  • You can never be certain about the share of questions from particular periods in English literature. Be prepared for anything. 
  • Focus on Paper 1 as well. That can easily help in getting you to the shore now. 
  • As per the convention and trend, Victorian Novels, Austen, Elizabethan Drama, Addison & around, & Modern literature should be the bulk. You can focus on these aspects a little more. 
  • Before beginning your preparation, read at least one book on the history of English literature thoroughly. 
As far as the point raised about which novels to read and who are the authors to be studied more, we can never be certain. Still, there is always a way. For example, when I say Victorian Novel, there are not many ones other than Dickens, Charlotte Bronte, Thackeray and maybe Gaskell. You can focus on the major works by these novelists. If you move towards Victorian poetry, you should focus more on Browning and Tennyson. Other ones to be read, second priority, are Rossetti and Arnold. Rest others should be read just to remember their major works. Browning becomes important because the questions can also be asked about his themes and storyline highlighted in his poems.

If you want to read more:

Do engage and ask if you have questions. Also, write your suggestions. Let's make this board useful for all! Smile
Sowmya, if you want to score better in the first paper, you need to keep in mind the following: 
* Never take the paper lightly
* Give it proper preparation 
* Read 2-3 good textbooks on research methodology 
* Also find quality study materials on teaching aptitude 
* Prepare yourself with the current affairs and general knowledge, mostly in the domain of higher education in India 
* Work on your data interpretation and comprehension skills to ensure 20 marks (5 from data interpretation and 5 from comprehension) 
If you prepare well, there is nothing like a surprise if you score 80 out of 100 in NET paper 1. 
All the best!