Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Contemporary Non-fiction English Literature in India - Post 2010
Non-fiction English writing in India has seen different phases - pre-independence, post-independence, during the emergency period and then later. However, it has taken dramatic turns in the 21st-century and right now, the contemporary period, after 2010, the non-fiction English writing in India has taken an experimental as well as a convincing shape. Authors are sharing their opinions on various aspects of life, the afterlife and things are known and unknown to the readers and the people in general. The recent rise of authors like Amit Bagaria (an avid political and strategic author), Anuj Dhar, Vikram Sampath, Ananda Karunesh, and also the established novelists like Chetan Bhagat and Amish Tripathi keep attempting non-fiction writings time to time... So, let's have a discussion about these guys and others you want to introduce and discuss.
Shashi Tharoor has also produced some of the quality writings in recent years. I enjoy reading his books.
Yes, Shashi Tharoor is a class but his ambitions, mostly political, mar his writing wisdom most of the times. If you want to admire him, that he is - admirable, you will also have to look at his shortcomings. I find in Nandan Nilekani a writer better than Tharoor and a prose writer without any prejudice or preoccupation.
I know about Tharoor and also about Nilekani. However, when I looked for other names, I found Amit Bagaria very prolific in recent times. Does he only write political books? What kind of a writer is he? Has anyone read any books by him? I read some of the finest reviews about his books like Demythsifying India and USAma. Please suggest.
You are right Akshay. In very little time, Amit Bagaria has written many books on strategic and international affairs. His books like USAma and I-Spy are very popular. He has also written about India's many historical mistakes (or myths that we say) in his book Demythsifying India: Demystifying 18 Myths about India. All his books have become popular now. He has also written a novel recently that is based on India politics and Indo-Pak relations. You should read his books. You will like him.
About Shashi Tharoor, one can simply admire him for the talent he is - yes, political affiliations certainly bring some boundaries to one's literary prowess. However, his writings are intellectual and admirable.
About Nandan Nilekani, he is a visionary in technology who really wants to bring better India in the near future to all of us and his writings reflect that.
About Amit Bagaria, I will say that he is an author striving to make his impression and marks felt upon Indian non-fiction literature. His books are driven by passion. He writes about confusions that we Indians generally have about certain people and things. He writes about the problems that the USA has created in the world. He writes about spies and their works. He writes about Modi and Congress... He is a readable author in modern times in India. I read his books - I-Spy and Demythsifying Myths and enjoyed both. I will read more from him in future.
Ravi and Amit, I really enjoyed reading Amit Bagaria's USAma because of facts and I-Spy because of his minute observations and also his latest novel as well as his book on Rafale. I admire his writing. However, by the same logic we can criticise Shashi Tharoor, why cannot we claim that Amit Bagaria is also biased politically? He is simply targeting the Congress party! Isn't it true? His writing is good but his target for the satires are only the people from that side of the line. Any opinions?
Hi Admiration, you are right to an extent. It may be termed the political bias of the author (Amit Bagaria) but he is largely right in his claims. We all know the facts that were and yes, the author may have extended the length of claims and arguments in some of the cases but he is right - and he has his rights as other authors have. And largely, our biases, political or otherwise, do reflect in the books we right or even we read. Smile
If we discuss the modern non-fiction writers in India (in English) after 2010 then I would certainly enjoy taking the name of Jaggi Vasudev. He has been instrumental in promoting his devised method of Inner Engineering and he also writes about Yoga, Shiva, Gods, Religion and spirituality and many other things. And thanks to the users who introduced Amit Bagaria to me. I will certainly read one of his many books first to know about him.
For all those readers who are interested in knowing my favourite non-fiction writers from India (in English obviously), and also those who are continuing after 2010, here is the short-list:

Anuj Dhar
Vikram Sampath (famous for Savarkar Biography)
Sita Ram Goel
Madhu Kishwar
Subramanian Swamy
Sadhguru

and a few others.
And I am just beginning to like Amit Bagaria as suggested by many of you guys. I began reading his book Demythsifying Myths and it left an impression that I begin to like. I will explore him further. There are also many authors who are contributing their bit to Indian English literature by producing quality non-fiction books and they are also commendable.