Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Contemporary Indian Writers - What are you reading right now?
How do you guys rate the books by Amish Tripathi? Is his writing worth a read? I have heard from many people that he actually morphs the ancient history of Ramayana and Mahabharata according to his own levels of fiction and fancy. Have anyone of you read his novels?
Akshay, I have read Sita by Amish. You are right to an extent in your assumption that Amish Tripathi morphs history at his will. However, one has to keep in mind that his books are fiction - and not inspired or based on actual history. SO, as an author, he can do what he wants. Nonetheless, at the same time, an author has to be cautious enough of what he or she is offering to the audience in actuality.
For those who were wondering what kinds of books are being discussed in the modern Indian literature (English), I will be sharing links to the reviews of those books here. Those who want to read can go and visit the links to read the reviews and then decide whether these books are worth or not. As far as I am concerned, I am currently reading Suraj's book and I have already read Pravin Anand's Mumtaz and Taj Mahal, influenced by this discussion. I found both the books just good enough to be read once and enjoyed. They have something to offer but they do lack depth. You can read the reviews here:

Elephants in the Room - book review
Mumtaz and Taj Mahal - book review
When it comes to contemporary Indian authors, Ashwin Sanghi and Amish Tripathi are my favourites. I really admire writers that revisit rich Indian history and mythology, and have a different take contrary to the popular opinions. Currently I am reading William Golding' Lord of the Flies and I wonder if there are any contemporary Indian authors that are in to social commentaries from children's perspective.