Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Contemporary Indian Writers - What are you reading right now?
Dear members and enthusiasts of literature, I hope you all must be good and active readers as well. So, let's discuss the contemporary literature now. What are you reading right now? Which contemporary authors have you read? What does the contemporary Indian English literature mean to you? You can share, if you want, why do you love particular author(s) and what more would you expect? 

We can also exchange our ideas and reading experiences. Though it's difficult to assume that the contemporary and popular literature in India (written in English or translated) is read by many other than those who are either supposed to read it or are youths, still, I am taking this opportunity to invite the opinions and to kickstart the discussion.
Well, right now, I was reading Amitav Ghosh's novel The Hungry Tide. I am not sure whether this means business to you Rohan because you have suggested 'contemporary' and 'popular' as well. However, let me share how do I see this novel. Though not so contemporary in the literal sense, the novel is still a modern work of fiction in English by an Indian author (who rather chose to reside outside India, like many others) depict the situations of the past and this is something that I don't like. How much of look backwards? How much of retrospection? Can we please move ahead or at least settle with the time we live in?
Well, I think you are right, Gaurav. However, I will certainly go to another extent and tell the users on this forum that Amitav's novels are often retrospective in the sense that it traces what happened rather than what would happen. The Hungry Tide, The Shadow Lines are the perfect examples. Now, my suggestion is that, Rohan and others here, can we please move ahead and look at the novels published after 2010 or let's say after 2005. That will enable us to judge the contemporary Indian English literature in the real contemporary sense. We can also include the novels by the authors who are rather new.
Jatin, in that sense, we can only say that the novels by the likes of Chetan Bhagat and to a very good extent, Ashwin Sanghi, are contemporary in the real sense. These authors do take into consideration the mindset and drive of youth. You can easily find their novels with issues which are relevant and contemporary and easily communicating to the masses. I will say that Chetan is the most interactive in that circumstance. On the other hand, there are many new ones coming who are writing the contemporary issues in their works and some are just entertainers. What do you say?
Right now, I am reading a few newer titles. I am reading Elephants in the Room by Suraj Laxminarayanan in the fiction genre and A Thousand Seeds of Joy by Ananda Karunesh in the spiritual genre. These two books are looking great up to the progress I have already made. I will look to read a few more contemporary books in the near future. I have read enough of the classics so just shifting the instance a bit.
Oh well! The books seem very new. The novel you mentioned is newly launched I think and a debut one as well. Another book you mentioned, Rubina, seems a different one. I am curious to read them too. Right now, I am reading Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go. I am finding it very good. Yes, it's also a kind of looking back into the reminiscence of the days spent... anyone reading any latest Indian authors' book?
I have recently read a spicy novel by Chetan Bhagat - The Girl in Room 105. Like always, Chetan Bhagat comes up with ingredients mixed up in a youthful proportion to flatter the generation. Moreover, I have also read Pravin Anand's Mumtaz and Taj Mahal in the recent past. This novel is rather sophisticated and romantic and also a little dramatised historical fiction. I liked it too. I will read non-fiction now.
I have read Pravin Anand's novel Mumtaz and Taj Mahal. This is very simple and a very cool novel. However, the narrative and language could have been altered to make it even more impressive. What non-fiction are you going to read, @Suman Sharma?
As far as my reading list is concerned, right now, I have been reading novels that are thrillers per se - Dan Brown and Bram Stoker etc. I like enjoying these novels. But I don't give much attention to what I read. I just read. Have academic compulsions as well! Smile
I have been reading Lal Bhatia's part autobiography Indicting Goliath these days. His work is based on the persecution that he had to undergo in the USA despite being innocent. A very humongous scam has been disclosed in the work (according to the author). Other than that, I have recently been reading Elephants in the Room by Suraj Laxminarayanan - a novel that is based on a bank robbery. I have been reading the novels by traditional Indian authors as well. Trying to get a hold on the writings of Raja Rao. Read his The Cat and Shakespeare and Kanthapura recently. Now planning to read The Chessmaster and His Moves.
@Admiration, I have been reading M K Naik's Indian English Literature. It's a nice book. Meanwhile, I also began reading the collection of poems by a poet in Hindi, Bikash Kumar, who is employed in Indian Foreign Services in the USA. His poetry is modern, communicating as well as appealing too. I enjoy reading Hindi books at times and if the book is good, the reading further intensifies itself.